Youshd asked social media expert @sydney_onsocials the Top 10 things she believes new creators should know. With over 1.6 million likes on TikTok for her social coaching videos, she really knows her stuff. Here’s what she has to say…
As a social media coach, I have had the privilege of working with numerous budding creators, helping them navigate the dynamic world of social media to build a successful online presence. These are the Top 10 things that I believe every aspiring creator should know to thrive in the digital landscape. Let’s dive into how to make your mark as a content creator:
1. Define Your Niche: The first step in establishing yourself as a creator is to define your niche. Identify your passion and expertise, and determine the specific area in which you want to create content. Pets? Plants? Beauty? Wellness? Focusing on a niche helps you stand out from the crowd and attract a dedicated audience with similar interests. Everyone is an expert in at least one area. What’s yours?
2. Understand Your Target Audience: To create content that resonates with your audience, it is crucial to understand their preferences, demographics, and interests. Conduct thorough research and engage with your audience to gain insights into their needs and expectations. Literally poll your audience! Tailoring your content to meet their demands will increase engagement and loyalty.
3. Consistency is Key: Consistency is vital to building your online presence. Develop a content schedule and stick to it. Regularly publishing high-quality content establishes your credibility and keeps your audience engaged. Be it daily, weekly, or monthly, consistency should be a priority. There are lots of scheduling tools if you need to set it and forget it ahead of some downtime, like Later or Loomly.
4.. Quality Over Quantity: While consistency is important, it should never compromise the quality of your content. Strive for excellence in every piece you create. Take the time to research, plan, and execute your ideas effectively. Delivering valuable and well-produced content will attract and retain your audience.
5. Engage and Interact: Social media is a two-way street. Actively engage with your audience by responding to comments, messages, and inquiries. Encourage discussions, ask for feedback, and make your audience feel heard and valued. Building a community around your content strengthens loyalty and fosters growth.
6. Master One Platform at a Time: It can be tempting to be present on every social media platform available, but as a budding creator, it’s more effective to focus on mastering one platform first. Understand the algorithms, features, and best practices of your chosen platform and use it to your advantage. Once you’ve established a strong presence, you can expand to other platforms.
7. Embrace Analytics: Analytics provide invaluable insights into your content’s performance and audience behavior. Use the analytics tools available on each platform to track metrics such as reach, engagement, and demographics. Analyze the data to optimize your content strategy and make informed decisions. If you want to go above and beyond insights in the app, Sprout Social provides super helpful analytics.
8. Collaboration and Networking: Collaborating with other creators in your niche can be mutually beneficial. It exposes you to new audiences and helps you learn from others’ experiences. There’s a reason Collab is a new feature on Instagram! We’re better together. Actively network with fellow creators, attend industry events, and participate in online communities. Building relationships within your industry opens doors for growth and collaboration opportunities. Seriously, just Google creator events in your city and check one out!
9. Stay Updated and Evolve: Social media is ever-changing, with new platforms, trends, and features constantly emerging. Stay updated with the latest developments in the social media landscape and adapt your strategies accordingly. Embrace change and be open to experimenting with new formats and ideas to stay ahead of the curve. There are lots of tools out there to help you stay on trend, like Planoly or TrendTok.
10. Take Care of Yourself: Lastly, as a creator, it’s crucial to prioritize self-care and mental well-being. Social media can be overwhelming, and the pressure to constantly produce content can take a toll. Counting views and likes is no way to live. Take breaks, disconnect from social media when needed, and do things that recharge you. Maintaining a healthy work-life balance ensures longevity and sustained creativity.
Becoming a successful content creator requires a combination of strategic thinking, creativity, and dedication. Stay true to the above tips, and you’ve got this.
Head of Community at Youshd | Marketing Strategy | Good Weird